-->

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Big Four Ice Caves



Yesterday, Keith and I went to a place called The Big Four Ice Caves. It's a nice little hike in Mt Baker National Forest off of Mountain Loop Highway. It's about a mile to the ice caves, but with it being hot, humid, and a poor choice of footwear, I didn't think I was going to last all that long. Keith kept trekking about, so it made me more determined to finish. Once we reached the caves, the air was like nature's AC unit. It was so cold, crisp, and refreshing. (Totally worth all that sweat!) At that point, I felt like I was done, but Keith wanted to explore more of the ice caves up the rocks and trees to the right off the trail. So we climbed, slipped, and found even cooler, deeper ice caves. After all that climbing, with feet hurting, legs scratched up, we went back on the trail and detoured to the Stillaguamish River, and dipped our feet into the glacier cold river.

I'm falling more in love with this state every time I go and explore the true beauty that lies just outside of my metropolitan backyard. I will definitely return to you Big Four, but for now, I say thank you for the best day I've had in a very long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment