-->

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Welcoming Yggdrasil

I was never blessed with my mom's amazing green thumb to grow anything. I remember as a child I wanted to grow strawberries and radishes. My strawberries were tiny and bad, and my radishes never bloomed. It broke my heart because I always wanted to grow my own vegetable garden. In my older years, my mom gave me orchids and those never lasted long either. On one of our trips to California we drove down Highway 101 and stopped at the Avenue of the Giants. There is were I found Bean, my first tree. With the travel, Bean suffered some burning and scars from being tossed around in a backpack. He made it home safe and with minor tending he's grown to 10 inches. Little did I know, I healed with Bean. I've had my ups and downs, but now I'm standing tall and doing things that I didn't think I could do for another couple of years. That's why when I went down to California for another trip, I went to Muir Woods in Marin. There I found a little baby tree. A young sapling. I instantly fell in love with it's small size and I knew that he was going to represent the new life that will unfold before my very eyes. So I know it sounds pretentious to name a tree Yggdrasil, but at this time, it seems fitting. It also doesn't seem too outlandish when you come from a background of Scandinavian blood. So I welcome Yggdrasil to keep my Bean company and together we form a little weird tree family.

No comments:

Post a Comment