-->

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Ode to Skitz



12 years ago I met Skitz. He was about the age of one, skinny, lively, talking, and full of loving personality. He enjoyed walking on fences, rubbing legs, and diving his head into my face. As he aged, he became an old man. Decided to gain a few pounds, get tired easily, and wanted to be left alone. Within that time he's had 6 homes, 2 cat mates, and 1 dog mate. He was the alpha male, chasing around and putting everyone in check (even humans). Since moving from my mom in Canada, to me in Seattle, Skitz has been in retirement. At first it was nice having a cat around, but that young loving personality came out, and he's been my little baby since. Happy to have two humans to dote so much love on him. It makes me sad that he's 13 years old, full of arthritis and bad teeth. I hate to watch him struggle to climb the couch, barely jumping to higher ground. Even his meows are fading. Then I look at him, basking in the sunlit, completely content, and happy for the solitude. I'm part of this chapter in his life where he is enjoying slowing down, having someone around to follow and rub on, eating tons of food, those occasions of playing fetch, and just being comfortable. He may be 13, but he doesn't look an age over 8.

Things Skitz enjoys in retirement:
  • Basking in sunlight
  • Taking walks outside
  • Laying on the patio
  • Laying behind heads on the couch
  • Laps
  • Licking his paws
  • String
  • Conversations over dinner
  • Catnip on the Lounge
  • People Watching

No comments:

Post a Comment